Lately, patriotism has taken on a different meaning. If you’re a Patriot then you must be an ultra-right Conservative because everyone else is wrong. It’s especially evident here in the South where the cult of ultra-right conservatism reigns and the terms Liberal or Liberalism are touted as the worst form of humanity, worse than Hitler or Stalin. So I found some quotes to think about on July 4th.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.Aristotle
Liberalism, above all, means emancipation – emancipation from one’s fears, his inadequacies, from prejudice, from discrimination, from poverty.Hubert Humphrey
Over the course of history, the answer to nationalism has been liberalism, and I believe it can be the answer again.Jo Swinson
Anyone who knows history, particularly the history of Europe, will, I think, recognize that the domination of education or of government by any one particular religious faith is never a happy arrangement for the people.Eleanor Roosevelt
In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people’s money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative.Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one’s own; open to new ideas.
- Relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.
- Relating to a Liberal party
- Given, used, or occurring in generous amounts
- (Of Education) concerned with broadening a person’s general knowledge and experience
Origin: Latin- liber=free